e

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Day 5: Wednesday 26th contd. Chepstow to Ludlow, approx. 62 miles


Ok well a small miracle occurred today. It might have been I good night's sleep, psychology or maybe the arnica I'd been taking since the previous morning. But today I felt a hell of a lot better, and no longer on the verge of quitting. That's not to say it was pain free, however I found myself feeling better than Matt who was suffering muscle aches, and saddle sores - you'll need to watch the DVD for more on that.. Anyway I was once again able to enjoy the ride perhaps more than I had so far, well the cycling that is. As the days ride began Matt and Hamish introduced me to the idea of drafting. This may sound nerdy, essentially you get close in behind the rider in front and let him cut through the air for you. This actually makes it easier for the rider behind because he uses the slip stream of air created. It can be a little bit hairy at speed though so concentration is required! As we edged our way north Matt decided his overshorts might be causing him to get sorer than he need be. So he stripped down to his lycra, I of course, felt obliged to follow suit, so the three of us forged onwards bumper to bumper, a little more streamlined and perhaps also a little more something else... There was some nice country to see: Mork had a nice castle, then just down the hill we joined up with a road which took us up part of the idyllic Wye valley. We followed this and ended up in Hereford for lunch. Matt seemed to have recovered from his pre lunch fatigue and has also been taking arnica, and we continued on to Ludlow in pretty good time. I'm not sure how long my recovery will last, but I'm taking it day by day as before. Did I mention the amount of wild life? You see a lot of it from a bike, unfortunately much of it is dead. Everything from badgers to moles, birds to rabbits, subsequently Matt and Hamish have taken to playing road kill cricket.





Boys in lycra!



Mork Castle






Hereford Cathedral

1 Comments:

Blogger laneender said...

Hey Barnie, have just found this blog. Believe it or not the CIFC guys are actually talking about your exploits on the mailing list. Good luck. PQ

10:58 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home