e

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Day 8: Saturday 29th July Garstang to Tebay


Today saw us break the 500 mile barrier. After yesterday's long haul another short run of 43 miles but some climbing to do as the slopes of Cumbria loomed. We are now around half way which is great news. However, more disturbing to the team was the worsening weather as spots of rain and then drizzle began to fall, serious concern mounted that we may not be able to complete our tans which had enjoyed such a good start on the Cornish slopes... Earlier in Lancaster we came upon a bike shop where the Sid could undergo some vital works to his/her under carriage, Matt looked on as his pride and joy was carefully adjusted and tightened. The chap in the shop also gave us some advice on our bike set up, seat heights etc. which might make things a little less painful on the hands and rear. We finished the day at our first self catered accomodation. A little house, as the owner called it, in the back garden. Hamish whose turn it was to have first choice of the beds ended up in the four poster. Tomorrow we'll rise about eight for home made breakfast, and will proceed up Shap, a rather serious climb not far from here. All being well we will arrive in Edinbrugh on Monday night. This trip will be the furthest North I've ever been incidentally, I do hope the weather clears up though, but don't think you get the Northern lights this time of year anyway. I must say I am glad to have made it this far, I really didn't think I was physically up to it. Perhaps day 3 or 4 was make or break for me, and I gained some fitness that could then be used for the following days. All in all we are all bearing up well. I did fall off today, I got my foot tangled in the pedal strap while trying to dismount. I was ok though, just felt a bit silly. I think we are all missing female company a bit, that's not to say we haven't enjoyed the male bonding opportunity. We do laugh a lot and spirits are pretty high particularly as we stand to finish the ride together. Even Hamish admitted last night he had changed his attitude to more of a team approach despite his better preparation and therefore fitness levels, and his competitive nature. This had been noticed and was appreciated, by Matt and myself.







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home